Pet Hazards

Spring Dangers

A Dangerous Fetch -  Be sure to use dog fetch toys, they can splinter in your dog’s mouth or cause an obstruction in his digestive tract and can also be covered in tummy-irritating mold.
Easter Basket Danger - The gifts the Easter Bunny leaves for your human kids can be downright dangerous to your fur babies. Chocolate eggs and bunny ears are toxic for dogs, especially if they contain baker’s or dark chocolate.
Bad Bouquets
ilies are extremely toxic to all pets, and nd can be deadly when consumed by cats. All parts of the plant, including the pollen, flower and leaves, are poisonous.

PlPet Hazards - Plantsants      

Christmas trees (firs, cedars, pines):    
Will likely contain volatile oils that can cause vomiting and diarrhea.  In addition, needles can cause irritation to the mouth and stomach.

Christmas tree preservatives:     
Most contain sugar and fertilizer - the sugar will attract the dog and the fertilizer can cause vomiting and even death. Decorative holly can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea and central nervous system depression.
       
Hazards Household ItemsHousehold Items     

Batteries:
If your pet bites into a battery, the corrosive fluid can cause severe ulcers in the mouth, esophagus and stomach. Intact batteries pose a foreign body hazard in the GI tract.

Perfumes and after-shaves:    
These items generally contain fairly high levels of alcohol, which can be dangerous to dogs. Additionally, be sure to put up any items that you suspect may contain food items such as chocolates, coffee, or macadamia nuts.

Salt Hazards

Typical warning label found on salt-based ice melt products:
"Danger! Keep away from pets and children wear rubber gloves and goggles when using. Wash contaminated clothing and call doctor immediately if contact with eyes or ingested."

Salt-based ice melters contain sodium chloride or potassium chloride which can heat up to 175 degrees when exposed to water, ice, and low temperatures. Often these white pellets (crystals) sit on ice and snow surfaces for a long period before penetrating. This presents a danger to pets, for dogs, in particular, exposure to salt-based ice melters can mean an unhealthy winter and unplanned trips to the veterinarian. The salts get frozen into the dogs paws and fur. When they are inside with higher temperatures, these salts can burn the skin causing ulcers and redness to tissue which can lead to bacterial infections. Dogs can also develop intestinal problems and inflammation of the stomach (gastritis) from licking the salt-based products off their paws.